Friday, May 15, 2009

Dead Birds











We have been loosing some chicks in the brooders and I have not been able to figure out why, then yesterday I found 50 dead. Never before have I seen anything like this. I thought maybe rats but I have had posin out, traps and no sign of any holes or ways in to the brooders.






Also yesterday I found a few dead birds in my chicken tractor in the pasture, I think 7 and my pull rope cut in two pieces like you had a sharp knife.






I went to Home depot to get wire so I can lift up the brooders and put the wire under them in case the rats are coming in the bottom and somehow back filling their holes. I didn't have a chacne to do it yesterady due to having to go to my part time job.






Today I walked to the brooders and was glad to find all alive and well.






Then I went to the chicken tractors, out in the pasture, 47 dead, all my turkeys but two dead, rope cut in half again. We probably have over a 30% loss of all tehbabies we have purchased thus far, makes me want to give up the chickens and stick to pigs but the chicken bring in fast money and I can't survive on pigs alone yet.






Suggestions anyone: footstepsfarm@hotmail.com






1 Comments:

Blogger Brian "My Fault" Nicolucci said...

That is horrible, have you ever figured out what happened? Maybe some cheap, well hidden security cams would help.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home